Alcohol Use and Older Adults
Frequently Asked Questions
21. What types of behavioral treatments are available for people with alcohol use disorder?
Talking about alcohol use with a professional is beneficial to many people. Counseling — either one-on-one or in groups — can help develop skills to stop or reduce drinking, develop reachable goals, manage the “triggers” that lead to alcohol misuse and build a strong social support system that supports healthy habits.
There are many kinds of counseling approaches.
- cognitive behavior therapy
- motivational enhancement therapy
- marital and family counseling
- brief interventions
Counseling can be provided by
- primary care doctors
- social workers
- certified alcohol counselors.