Caring for Someone with Alzheimer's
Frequently Asked Questions
10. What are ways to make sure that a person with Alzheimer's eats properly?
Video length: 1 min 1 sec
Click to watch this video
Eating healthy foods helps us stay well. It's even more important for people with Alzheimer’s disease.
Here are tips for healthy eating when a person with Alzheimer’s lives with you.
- Buy healthy foods such as vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain products. Be sure to buy foods that the person likes and can eat.
- Buy food that is easy to prepare, such as pre-made salads and single food portions.
- Have someone else make meals if possible.
- Use a service such as Meals on Wheels, which will bring meals right to your home. For more information, check your local phone book, or contact the Meals on Wheels organization at 703-548-5558 or visit the website at www.mowaa.org.
Here are tips for healthy eating when a person with early-stage Alzheimer’s lives alone.
- Follow the steps above
- Buy foods that the person doesn't need to cook.
- Call to remind him or her to eat.
In the early stage of Alzheimer’s disease, the person's eating habits usually don't change. When changes do occur, living alone may not be safe anymore.
Look for these signs to see if living alone is no longer safe for the person with Alzheimer’s.
- The person forgets to eat.
- Food has burned because it was left on the stove.
- The oven isn't turned off.