Alzheimer's Caregiving

Frequently Asked Questions

21. What federal and state programs provide financial support and services for Alzheimer's caregivers?

Federal and state program that can provide financial support include

Medicare is a Federal health insurance program that pays some medical costs for people age 65 and older and for those who have received Social Security Disability Income for 24 months. Learn more at or call 1-800-633-4227 (TTY: 877-486-2048).

Medicaid is a combined Federal-State health insurance program for low-income people and families. This program will pay for nursing home care and sometimes long-term care at home if you meet financial requirements. For more information, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit

The Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) is a program that combines Medicare and Medicaid benefits. It pays medical, social service, and long-term care costs for frail, low-income people age 55 and older. To find out more, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit PACE.

Social Security Disability Income (SSI) is for people younger than age 65 who are disabled according to the Social Security Administration's definition. Visit for details.

Social Security also has "compassionate allowances" to help people with early-onset Alzheimer's disease, To find out more, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit

The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is another resource for Alzheimer’s caregivers that provides free counseling and advice about Medicare coverage and benefits. To contact a SHIP counselor in your State, visit

If the person with Alzheimer’s disease is a veteran, he or she may qualify for long-term care provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). To learn more about VA benefits, call 1-877-222-8387 or see