Caring for Someone with Alzheimer's
Frequently Asked Questions
22. How can caregivers make sure they take care of themselves?
Taking care of yourself — physically and mentally — is one of the most important things you can do as a caregiver. This could mean asking family members and friends to help out, doing things you enjoy, or getting help from a home health care service. Taking these actions can bring you some relief. It also may help keep you from getting ill or depressed.
Here are some ways you can take care of yourself.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Join a caregiver’s support group.
- Take breaks each day.
- Spend time with friends.
- Keep up with your hobbies and interests.
- Get exercise as often as you can.
- See your doctor on a regular basis.
- Keep your health, legal and financial information up-to-date.