Frequently Asked Questions
5. What is typically the first sign of Alzheimer's disease?
Memory problems are typically one of the first signs of Alzheimer’s disease. A person in the early (mild) stage of Alzheimer’s disease may
- find it hard to remember things
- ask the same questions over and over
- get lost
- lose things or put them in odd places
- have trouble handling money and paying bills
- take longer than normal to finish daily tasks.
Other thinking problems besides memory loss may be the first sign of Alzheimer’s disease. A person may have trouble finding the right words, vision and spatial issues, or impaired reasoning or judgment. He or she may also have some mood or personality changes.