Creating a Family Health History
Frequently Asked Questions
16. How do I know if I should get a genetic test?
You may want to ask your health care professional about genetic testing if you
- have a family history of a rare, inherited disease, such as cystic fibrosis or sickle cell anemia
- have a history of more common diseases, such as cancer or heart disease, that affect many relatives in several generations of your family
- have close relatives who developed common diseases earlier than normal
- come from a population group with a higher risk of a specific inherited disease.