Frequently Asked Questions
10. What kind of meal plan should a person with diabetes follow?
Ask your doctor to give you the name of someone trained to help you create a healthy eating plan, such as a dietitian. This plan, often called medical nutrition therapy, will include regular monitoring by your dietitian and education about how to adjust your eating habits as the need occurs. Medical nutrition therapy is usually covered by insurance or Medicare as long as your doctor refers you. Your dietitian can help you plan meals that include foods that you and your family like and that are good for you.
Your healthy eating plan will include
- breads, cereals, rice, and whole grains
- fruits and vegetables
- meat and meat substitutes
- dairy products
- healthy fats.
Your plan will also help you learn how to eat the right amount, or portions, of food. Making good food choices will
- help you reach and stay at a healthy weight
- keep your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels under control
- prevent heart and blood vessel disease.