Frequently Asked Questions
28. Does Medicare help pay for services and supplies for people with diabetes?
Medicare helps pay for certain services and supplies for people with diabetes who have Medicare Part B. All require a doctor's prescription. The diabetes-related services and supplies that are covered include
- blood sugar monitor and supplies
- an A1C test, which is a lab test that measures how well your blood glucose has been controlled over the past 3 months.
- dilated eye examinations to check for diabetic eye diseases
- glaucoma screening
- flu and pneumonia shots
- diabetes self-management training
- medical nutrition therapy services.
For more information about what Medicare covers, contact the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services at 1-800-MEDICARE, or 1-800-633-4227. TTY users dial 1-877-486-2048.