Frequently Asked Questions
3. What steps can I take to avoid foodborne illness when handling and preparing food?
You can take these simple steps to avoid foodborne illnesses when handling and preparing food.
- Wash your hands before and after handling food with soap and water.
- Wash cooking items and counter tops frequently during food preparation.
- Know what foods to wash.
- Cook foods to proper temperatures.
- Store foods properly.
- Thaw foods properly.
- Separate some foods.
- Avoid the "Danger Zone" by keeping cold foods cold and hot foods hot.
- Avoid some foods entirely.
- Pay attention to expiration dates.