Eating Well As You Get Older
Frequently Asked Questions
20. How can I lower the amount of fat in my diet?
Here are steps you can take to lower the fat in your diet.
- Choose seafood, lean poultry (with the skin removed) or lean cuts of meat.
- Trim off any extra fat before cooking.
- Use low-fat or fat-free dairy products and salad dressings.
- Use non-stick pots and pans, and cook without added fat.
- Choose an unsaturated or monounsaturated or polyunsaturated vegetable oil for cooking, such as olive, canola, or sesame oil.
- Don’t fry foods. Instead, broil, roast, bake, stir-fry, steam, microwave, or boil them.
- Season your foods with lemon juice, herbs, or spices instead of butter.