Exercise: Exercises to Try
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What kinds of exercises should I try?
Try to choose activities that include all four types of exercise -- endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility -- because each type has different benefits.
- Endurance exercises like walking, swimming, or jogging will make it possible for you to walk farther, faster and uphill.
- Strength exercises such as weight lifting will strengthen your muscles and make you stronger.
- Balance exercises like standing on one foot can help prevent falls.
- Flexibility exercises like yoga help keep your body limber and flexible.
(Watch the video to see one way to make exercise a regular part of your day. To enlarge the video, click the brackets in the lower right-hand corner. To reduce the video, press the Escape (Esc) button on your keyboard.)
Doing one type of exercise also can improve your ability to do the others. Plus, variety helps reduce boredom and risk of injury.