Exercise: Exercises to Try
Frequently Asked Questions
3. How can I stay safe when doing endurance activities?
Before doing endurance exercises , be sure to observe these safety tips.
- Do a little light activity, such as easy walking, before and after your endurance activities to warm up and cool down.
- Drink liquids when doing any activity that makes you sweat.
- Dress appropriately for the heat and cold. Dress in layers if you're outdoors so you can add or remove clothes as needed.
- When you're out walking, watch out for low-hanging branches and uneven sidewalks.
- Walk during the day or in well-lit areas at night, and be aware of your surroundings.
- To prevent injuries, use safety equipment such as helmets for biking.
- Endurance activities should not make you breathe so hard that you can't talk and should not cause dizziness or chest pain.
For more on exercise safety, see "Staying Safe During Exercise and Physical Activity" from Go4Life®, the exercise and physical activity campaign from the National Institute on Aging.