Exercise: How to Get Started
Frequently Asked Questions
12. Should I eat before exercising?
Your body needs fuel for exercise and physical activities, but you should wait at least two hours after eating a large meal before exercising. Following a healthy eating plan and being physically active are keys to a healthy lifestyle. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Guidelines, a healthy diet:
- Emphasizes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
- Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars
- Balances the calories from foods and beverages with calories burned through physical activities to maintain a healthy weight
MyPyramid.gov, a website developed by the USDA, offers personalized eating plans, tools to help you plan and assess your food choices, and advice to help you make smart choices from every food group and get the most nutrition out of your calories.