Exercise: How to Get Started
Frequently Asked Questions
13. Should I eat before exercising?
Your body needs fuel for exercise and physical activities, but you should wait at least two hours after eating a large meal before exercising. Following a healthy eating plan and being physically active are keys to a healthy lifestyle. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Guidelines, a healthy diet:
- Emphasizes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
- Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars
- Balances the calories from foods and beverages with calories burned through physical activities to maintain a healthy weight