Exercise: How to Get Started
Frequently Asked Questions
3. I find it hard to make myself be active. What can I do?
You're more likely to become active on a regular basis if you
- choose activities you enjoy
- are able to fit them into your schedule
- believe you'll benefit from them
- can do them safely and correctly.
Making a contract with a friend or family member also may help you keep your commitment. Setting small, realistic goals, checking your progress, and rewarding yourself when you reach your goal also can help. If you can stick with an exercise routine or physical activity for at least 6 months, it's a good sign that you're on your way to making physical activity a regular habit.
(Watch the video to learn more about finding physical activities you enjoy. To enlarge the video, click the brackets in the lower right-hand corner. To reduce the video, press the Escape (Esc) button on your keyboard.)