Exercise: How to Get Started
Frequently Asked Questions
8. What qualifications should I look for in a personal trainer?
If you are interested in working with a trainer, here are a few questions to help you pick the right person. If you can answer YES to most of these questions, you're probably on the right track.
Education and Experience of the Trainer
- Does the trainer have a certification from an accredited organization?
- Does the trainer have education or experience in exercise science, aging, and program design?
- Does the trainer have at least 2 years of experience, including experience training people your age?
- Will the trainer be able to develop an exercise program based on your goals, abilities, and health?
- Has the trainer worked with people with your medical conditions?
- Does the trainer know how to personalize your exercises based on medications you take?
Personality of the Trainer
- Did the trainer listen carefully to you and answer your questions?
- Does the trainer have a sense of humor and a personality that you like?
Business Practices of the Trainer
- Has the trainer told you what to expect from the sessions?
- Are the costs of the sessions and the cancellation policy clearly stated?
- Is the trainer insured or bonded?
- Will the trainer give you a list of clients so you can check references?