Falls and Older Adults
Frequently Asked Questions
25. What can I do to prevent falls outdoors?
Be careful when walking outdoors. Slipping on a slick sidewalk, a curb, or icy stairs could result in a disabling fracture or other injury.
To help prevent falls outdoors at home, you should
- have handrails installed on both sides of outdoor stairs and walkways
- light stairs and walkways
- ask someone to spread sand or salt on icy surfaces
- wear shoes or snow boots with traction when walking on slippery surfaces.