Falls and Older Adults
Frequently Asked Questions
3. What personal factors can lead to falls?
Some personal factors that can lead to falls are
- muscle weakness, especially in the legs
- poor balance or difficulty walking -- factors that could be related to a neurological cause, arthritis, or another condition that might be treated.
- blood pressure that drops too much on standing
- vision problems
- taking medications that cause side effects like dizziness and confusion, or that interact with one another.
Impaired mental abilities and urinary incontinence may also contribute to falls.