Hearing Loss

Frequently Asked Questions

14. What do I do if I think I have a hearing loss?

If you think that you have a hearing problem, schedule an appointment with your family doctor. In some cases, he or she can identify the problem and prescribe treatment.

Your doctor may refer you to an otolaryngologist -- a surgeon who specializes in ear, nose, and throat diseases.

Your doctor may recommend that you also visit an audiologist. An audiologist is a health professional who can identify and measure hearing loss.

Another kind of hearing professional known as a hearing aid specialist can provide these types of services:

Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, or sudden deafness, is a rapid loss of hearing. It can happen to a person all at once or over a period of up to 3 days. It should be considered a medical emergency. If you or someone you know experiences sudden sensorineural hearing loss, you should visit a doctor immediately.