Frequently Asked Questions
6. How can heart failure be prevented?
Ways to prevent heart failure include
- keeping your cholesterol and blood pressure levels healthy
- keeping diabetes in check
- maintaining a healthy weight
- quitting smoking
- following a heart healthy diet
- limiting the amount of alcohol you drink
- eating a diet low in salt because salt can cause extra fluid to build up in your body and also contribute to high blood pressure. Older adults should limit their sodium (salt) intake to1500 mg a day (about 2/3 tsp of salt).
- getting regular exercise. Aim for at least 30 minutes a day of exercise. Check with your doctor before starting any exercise program. For information about exercises that older adults can do safely, see Exercises to Try or visit Go4Life®, the exercise and physical activity campaign for older adults from the National Institute on Aging.