High Blood Cholesterol
Frequently Asked Questions
18. What are the factors that affect my LDL goal?
Your LDL cholesterol goal level depends on your risk for developing heart disease or having a heart attack at the time you start treatment.
Major risk factors that affect your LDL goal include
- cigarette smoking
- high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg or higher), or being on blood pressure medicine
- low HDL cholesterol (less than 40 mg/dL)
- family history of early heart disease (heart disease in father or brother before age 55; heart disease in mother or sister before age 65)
- age (men 45 years or older; women 55 years or older).