High Blood Pressure
Frequently Asked Questions
11. Are there lifestyle changes I can make to lower my blood pressure?
Yes, some people can lower their blood pressure by making the same kinds of lifestyle changes that can help prevent high blood pressure.
- Follow a healthy eating plan that includes fruits, vegetables, fat-free and low-fat milk products, and whole grains.
- Cut down on salt and sodium in the diet.
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese, and stay at a healthy weight.
- Be physically active for at least 2 and one-half hours a week
- Limit alcohol intake
- Quit smoking, or don't start smoking
- Learn to manage stress