High Blood Pressure
Frequently Asked Questions
9. Is there any way I can prevent high blood pressure?
You can take steps to prevent high blood pressure by adopting a healthy lifestyle. For example:
- maintain a healthy weight and lose weight if you are overweight or obese
- be physically active for at least 2 and one-half hours a week
- follow a healthy eating plan like DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension), which emphasizes fruits, vegetables, fat-free and low-fat milk and milk products, and whole grains, fish, poultry, beans, seeds, and nuts, and choose and prepare foods with less sodium (salt)
- if you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation (no more than one drink a day for women; no more than two drinks a day for men)
- quit smoking, if you smoke
- manage stress.