Frequently Asked Questions
6. How can I keep my kidneys healthy?
You can keep your kidneys healthy longer by taking steps to control your diabetes and high blood pressure. Manage your diabetes and high blood pressure by
- eating heart healthy foods: fresh fruits, fresh or frozen vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy foods
- cutting back on salt
- limiting your alcohol intake
- being more physically active
- losing weight if you are overweight
- taking your medicines the way your provider tells you to
- keeping your cholesterol levels in the target range
- taking steps to quit, if you smoke, and
- seeing your doctor regularly.