Frequently Asked Questions
6. Am I at risk of developing leukemia?
For the most part, no one knows why some people develop leukemia and others do not. Most people who have known risk factors do not get leukemia, while many who get the disease do not have any risk factors.
Studies have identified the following risk factors for leukemia.
- older age
- working with certain chemicals
- exposure to very high levels of radiation
- certain health conditions
- past treatment with chemotherapy or radiation therapy.