Frequently Asked Questions
16. What can I do to prevent the lymphedema, or swelling, caused by my cancer treatment?
You can try several things that might help prevent or relieve lymphedema.
- Watch for signs of swelling or infection (redness, pain, heat, and fever). Tell your health care provider if your arm or leg is painful or swollen.
- Avoid getting cuts, insect bites, or sunburn in the affected area.
- Keep your skin clean and use lotion to keep it moist.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing on your arms or legs.