Medicare and Caregivers
Frequently Asked Questions
13. How does a person keep track of the services that Medicare bills and pays for?
If a person is in Original Medicare, he or she will get a Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) in the mail every three months if he or she had a Medicare-covered service during that period. The notice lists the services the person you care for received and the amount he or she may be billed by a hospital, doctor, or other provider. These notices are sent by companies that handle bills for Medicare.
For more information about the Medicare Summary Notice, including a sample MSN and information on how to read it, visit www.medicare.gov and click on "Forms, help, & resources.” Then select “Mail you get about Medicare” and click on "Medicare Summary Notice" (MSN). Or, call 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227) and say "Billing." TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
If you want to see your claims right away or if you don’t want to wait for your MSN, you can access your Original Medicare claims at www.medicare.gov. You’ll usually be able to see a claim within 24 hours after Medicare processes it. You can also use the Blue Button feature to help keep track of your personal health records.
Notices and bills for Medicare Advantage Plans and Medigap policies will look different than the MSN for people in Original Medicare.
If you have a question about a Medicare Advantage Plan or Medigap policy, you will need to call the benefits coordinator at the company or health plan that offers the plan. To locate telephone numbers, you can look at the notice or bill from the plan. Or, you can call 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
There are a variety of resources available to help you learn more and answer any questions, including
- Medicare website: Medicare.gov. You can also call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
- Medicaid website: Medicaid.gov
- Social Security website: www.ssa.gov You can also call you local social security office.
- Health Insurance Marketplace website: HealthCare.gov
- Insure Kids Now website: InsureKidsNow.gov
- CMS National Training Program: CMS.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Training/ CMSNationalTrainingProgram/index.html
- State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIPs):Helpful Contacts. You can call your local SHIP office.