Medicare and Continuing Care
Frequently Asked Questions
14. What are questions to consider when choosing a nursing home?
Here are some questions to ask when considering choosing a nursing home. You may want to make surprise visits at different times of the day to verify conditions.
- Is the nursing home Medicare- or Medicaid-certified?
- Does the nursing home have the level of care needed (such as skilled or custodial care) and is a bed available?
- Does the nursing home have special services if needed in a separate unit (such as a ventilator or rehabilitation) and is a bed available?
- Are residents clean, well groomed, and appropriately dressed for the season or time of day?
- Is the nursing home free from strong, unpleasant odors?
- Does the nursing home appear to be clean and well kept?
- Does the nursing home conduct staff background checks?
- Does the nursing home staff interact warmly and respectfully with home residents?
- Does the nursing home meet cultural, religious, and language needs?
- Are the nursing home and the current administrator licensed?