Frequently Asked Questions
15. What safety features should my car have?
Check to see if your car car has these safety features.
- front and side airbags to protect car occupants in a crash
- properly adjusted head restraint systems to protect against neck injuries
- electronic stability control for crash avoidance
- power steering
- adjustable seats, which help shorter drivers sit high enough to see the road well
- bigger, brighter displays on the dashboard
- large, glare–proof mirrors, or light-sensitive mirrors that darken automatically to reduce headlight glare
- wide-angle rear–view mirrors and convex side mirrors — these may help drivers with neck problems, but they distort distances and take getting used to
- a steering wheel that tilts up or down and moves closer to or farther from the driver’s chest — this helps drivers sit safely and comfortably no more than 10 inches from the steering wheel.
For more information about vehicle safety and recalls, see www.safercar.gov.