Frequently Asked Questions
16. How do I know if my driving skills have declined?
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you should check your skills. You may need to change your driving habits.
- Has a friend or family member expressed concern about your driving?
- Has your doctor advised you to limit driving for health reasons?
- Have you been pulled over by a police officer and warned about poor driving behavior?
- Have you been stopped by the police or had near misses or accidents in the last 3 years?
- Do you sometimes get lost on familiar routes?
- Do your thoughts wander when you drive? Do you become confused or angry?
- Do other drivers honk at you frequently?
- Do cars or people walking seem to appear out of nowhere?
- Do you have trouble moving your foot between the gas and brake pedals, or do you confuse the two?
It’s important to be aware of your limitations and how they may affect your driving. If you’re not sure you have a driving problem, ask a family member, friend, or doctor for advice. The most important thing is to be safe on the road.