Frequently Asked Questions
6. Are you at risk for weak bones?
If you have any of these “red flags,” you could be at high risk for weak bones. Talk to your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care professional.
Do any of these apply to you?
- ____ I’m older than 65.
- ____ I’ve broken a bone after age 50.
- ____ My close relative has osteoporosis or has broken a bone.
- ____ My health is “fair” or “poor.”
- ____ I smoke.
- ____ I am underweight for my height.
- ____ I started menopause before age 45.
- ____ I’ve never gotten enough calcium.
- ____ I have more than two drinks of alcohol several times a week.
- ____ I have poor vision, even with glasses.
- ____ I sometimes fall.
- ____ I’m not active.
- ____ I have one of these medical conditions:
- Chronic lung disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Chronic hepatic or renal disease
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Cushing’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- ____ I take one of these medicines:
- Oral glucocorticoids (steroids)
- Cancer treatments (radiation, chemotherapy)
- Thyroid medicine
- Antiepileptic medications
- Gonadal hormone suppression
- Immunosuppressive agents