Participating in Clinical Trials
Frequently Asked Questions
30. Why would a clinical trial be stopped early?
Clinical trials can be stopped any time in any phase of testing for several reasons.
- Early results may show that the experimental product works much better than the others. In these cases, researchers would offer the experimental product to the control group.
- The study may find no difference between the control group and experimental group, so further testing is useless.
- The IRB or the Data and Safety Monitoring Committee may find a problem with the way the researchers are running the trial.
- There may be too many dangerous side effects.