Participating in Clinical Trials
Frequently Asked Questions
9. What are the risks of taking part in a clinical trial?
Here are some possible risks of taking part in a clinical trial.
- You may experience serious, unpleasant, or even life-threatening side effects.
- You may get the standard treatment or placebo instead of the experimental product.
- The experimental product may not be better or even as good as the standard treatment for your condition.
- You may be required to make more visits to the doctor than if you were receiving standard treatment. You may have extra expenses related to these extra visits, such as travel and childcare costs.
- You may need extra tests. Some of the tests could be uncomfortable or time consuming.
- Even if a new procedure works for other people, it may not work for you.
- Health insurance may not cover all patient care costs in a trial.