Gum (Periodontal) Disease
Frequently Asked Questions
9. Are there ways to prevent gum disease?
Yes, you can prevent gum disease with proper dental hygiene and regular cleanings by your dentist or dental hygienist. Specifically, you should
- brush your teeth twice a day (with a fluoride toothpaste).
- floss regularly to remove plaque from between teeth. Or use a device such as a special pick recommended by a dental professional.
- visit the dentist routinely for a check-up and professional cleaning.
- not smoke.
- eat a well-balanced diet. (For more information, see "Eating Well As You Get Older" at http://nihseniorhealth.gov/eatingwellasyougetolder/toc.html)