Problems with Smell
Frequently Asked Questions
12. How do I know if I have a problem with my sense of smell?
If you think you have a problem with your sense of smell, try to identify and record the circumstances at the time you first noticed the problem. Ask yourself the following questions.
- When did I first become aware of it?
- Did I have a cold or the flu?
- Did I have a head injury?
- Was I exposed to air pollutants, pollens, pet dander, or dust to which I might be allergic?
- Is this a recurring problem?
- Does it come at any special time, like during the hay fever season?
Bring this information with you when you visit your physician. Also, be prepared to tell him or her about your general health and any medications you are taking.