Problems with Smell
Frequently Asked Questions
20. What research is being done on smell disorders?
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) supports basic and clinical investigations of smell and taste disorders at its laboratories in Bethesda, Md. and at universities and chemosensory research centers across the country. These chemosensory scientists are exploring how to
- promote the regeneration of sensory nerve cells
- understand the effects of the environment (such as gasoline fumes, chemicals, and extremes of humidity and temperature) on smell and taste
- prevent the effects of aging on smell and taste
- develop new diagnostic tests for taste and smell disorders
- understand associations between smell disorders and changes in diet and food preferences in the elderly or among people with chronic illnesses.