Problems with Taste
Frequently Asked Questions
17. What research is being done on taste disorders?
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) supports basic and clinical investigations of smell and taste disorders at its laboratories in Bethesda, Md. and at universities and chemosensory research centers across the country. These chemosensory scientists are exploring how to
- prevent the effects of aging on taste and smell
- develop new diagnostic tests
- understand associations between taste disorders and changes in diet and food preferences in the elderly or among people with chronic illnesses
- improve treatment methods and rehabilitation strategies.