Frequently Asked Questions
16. Are there people who should not get the shingles vaccine?
Yes. You should NOT get the shingles vaccine (Zostavax®) if you
- have an active case of shingles or have pain that continues after the rash is gone
- have ever had a life-threatening or severe allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin, or any other component of the shingles vaccine. Tell your doctor if you have any severe allergies.
- have a weakened immune system because of:
-- HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system
-- treatment with drugs that affect the immune system, such as steroids
-- cancer treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy
-- cancer affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma.
- are pregnant or might be pregnant.