Frequently Asked Questions
16. If I have shingles, what can I do to feel better?
If you have shingles, here are some tips that might help you feel better.
- Get plenty of rest and eat well-balanced meals.
- Try simple exercises like stretching or walking. Check with your doctor before starting a new exercise routine.
- Apply a cool washcloth to your blisters to ease the pain and help dry the blisters.
- Do things that take your mind off your pain. For example, watch TV, read, talk with friends, listen to relaxing music, or work on a hobby you like.
- Avoid stress. It can make the pain worse.
- Wear loose-fitting, natural-fiber clothing.
- Take an oatmeal bath or use calamine lotion to see if it soothes your skin.
- Share your feelings about your pain with family and friends. Ask for their understanding.