Talking with Your Doctor
Frequently Asked Questions
17. What questions should I ask before having a medical test?
Before you have a medical test, ask your doctor to explain why you need it, what it will show about your health, what it will cost, and if your health insurance will cover the cost. Also, ask what you need to do to get ready for the test. For example, you may not be able to eat before the medical test.
Other questions to ask your doctor about medical tests:
- How is the test done? What steps does the medical test involve?
- Are there any dangers or side effects?
- How will I find out the results of my test? How long will it take to get the results?
- What will we know after the test?