Talking with Your Doctor
Frequently Asked Questions
23. If I'm hospitalized, what should I bring with me?
It’s best to bring as little as you can to the hospital. You will need
- bathrobe and slippers (put your name on each item); most hospitals provide special bed clothes
- comfortable clothes to wear home (they may be the clothes you wore to the hospital)
- toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, comb and brush, deodorant, and your own razor
- your hearing aids, dentures, and glasses
- a little cash (not more than $10) and a credit card that a family member or friend can keep for you
- books or magazines.
Make sure you bring your health insurance card. If you don’t have health insurance, talk with the admissions staff about other payment methods and sources of financial aid.
Remember to bring photo identification and updated information about
- past illnesses and surgeries
- your medicines, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs
- your allergies
- names and telephone numbers (home and business) to contact in an emergency.