Talking with Your Doctor
Frequently Asked Questions
24. What questions should I ask the emergency room staff?
During your ER visit, ask questions if you do not know what a doctor or other medical staff is doing. Make sure you understand what the ER doctor tells you about your health, or ask him or her to write it down.
Also, make sure you know if there is anything special you need to do after you go home from the ER. For example, if you have a bandage, find out when and how to change it. Tell your regular doctor(s) as soon as possible about your visit to the ER.
Here are some questions you may want to ask medical staff in the ER.
- What medical tests are being done and why?
- Will you talk to my regular doctor about my care?
- Do I need to make special doctor visits for my health problem?
- Can you write down what I need to do to care for my health problem?
- Is there someone who speaks my language and can explain what I need to do for my health problem? (If you speak a different language.)