A Toolkit for Trainers
Welcome to the Toolkit for Trainers, a resource developed by the National Institute on Aging. Use these free, easy-to-use training materials to help older adults find reliable, up-to-date online health information on their own. The training features three websites from the National Institutes of Health — NIHSeniorHealth.gov, MedlinePlus.gov and Go4Life®. Trainers can use the toolkit with beginning and intermediate students of the Web.
Here's how to proceed:
- Watch the introductory video to find out what the toolkit is all about.
- Browse the lesson plans and download those that fit your students' skill levels, time limitations, and interests.
- Check out the training tools and download tips on setting up a senior-friendly classroom, recruitment flyers, and more.
(Downloading requires free Adobe Reader.)
- For beginning students with little computer experience:Module 1: Internet Basics (PDF, 4.6MB)
- For beginning students with some Internet experience:(Updated 12/04/2013)Module 2: Introduction to NIHSeniorHealth (PDF, 3.9MB)Module 3: NIHSeniorHealth Quizzes and Videos (PDF, 1.7MB)Module 4: NIHSeniorHealth FAQs, Site Map, and Search Box (PDF, 2.7MB)
- For beginning and intermediate students:(Updated 12/04/2013)Module 5: Exercise for Older Adults on NIHSeniorHealth and Go4Life® (PDF, 5.1MB)
- For intermediate students:(Updated 09/20/2010)Module 6: Introduction to MedlinePlus (PDF, 4.9MB)Module 7: MedlinePlus: Drugs and Supplements, Medical Encyclopedia (PDF, 4.5MB)Module 8: MedlinePlus: News, Doctors, Hospitals, and Multimedia (PDF, 5.5MB)
- For all students:(Updated 10/12/2010)Module 9: Evaluating Health Websites (PDF, 5.8MB)
- FAQs about the Toolkit for Trainers (PDF, 521KB)
- Quick Tips for a Senior Friendly Computer Classroom (PDF, 1.32MB)
- Student Recruitment Flyer (PDF)
- Trainer Information Flyer (PDF)
For instructors and demonstrations:
To save the Introductory Video, "Introducing the Toolkit," (MPEG-4 format, 13MB) to your computer for later use, select the file to download. The file is very large and should only be downloaded from high speed and cable connections.