Age-related Macular Degeneration
Frequently Asked Questions
14. What is the dosage of the AREDS formulation?
The clinically effective doses tested in AREDS and AREDS2 are
- 500 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C
- 400 international units of vitamin E
- 80 mg zinc as zinc oxide (25 mg in AREDS2)
- 2 mg copper as cupric oxide
- 15 mg beta-carotene, OR 10 mg lutein and 2 mg zeaxanthin.
A number of manufacturers offer nutritional supplements that were formulated based on these studies. The label may refer to “AREDS” or “AREDS2.”