Frequently Asked Questions
23. How can caregivers make sure they take care of themselves?
Taking care of yourself — physically and mentally — is one of the most important things you can do as a caregiver. This could mean asking family members and friends to help out, doing things you enjoy, or getting help from a home health care service. Taking these actions can bring you some relief. It also may help keep you from getting ill or depressed.
Here are some ways you can take care of yourself.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Join a caregiver’s support group.
- Take breaks each day.
- Spend time with friends.
- Keep up with your hobbies and interests.
- Get exercise as often as you can.
- See your doctor on a regular basis.
- Keep your health, legal and financial information up-to-date.
For more information, see Getting Help with Caregiving.
(Watch the video to see how Alzheimer's caregivers can share the care. To enlarge the video, click the brackets in the lower right-hand corner. To reduce the video, press the Escape (Esc) button on your keyboard.)