Anxiety Disorders

Frequently Asked Questions

9. What should I do if I think I have an anxiety disorder?

If you think you have an anxiety disorder, the first person you should see is your family doctor. Your doctor should do an exam to make sure that another physical problem isn't causing the symptoms. The doctor may refer you to a mental health specialist.

You should feel comfortable talking with the mental health specialist you choose. If you do not, seek help elsewhere. Once you find a mental health specialist you are comfortable with, you should work as a team and make a plan to treat your anxiety disorder together.

If you have already received treatment for an anxiety disorder, you should tell your doctor about that treatment in detail. If you received medication, you should tell your doctor what medication was used, what the dosage was at the beginning of treatment, whether the dosage was increased or decreased while you were under treatment, what side effects may have occurred, and whether the treatment helped you become less anxious. If you received psychotherapy, you should describe the type of therapy, how often you attended sessions, and whether the therapy was useful.