Balance Problems

Frequently Asked Questions

12. What kind of medical professional can treat a balance disorder?

If you think that you have a balance disorder, you should schedule an appointment with your family doctor. Your doctor may refer you to an otolaryngologist. This doctor has special training in problems of the ear, nose, throat, head, and neck.

An otolaryngologist may ask you for your medical history and perform a physical examination to help figure out the possible causes of the balance disorder. He or she, as well as an audiologist (a person who specializes in assessing hearing and balance disorders), may also perform tests to determine the cause and extent of the problem.

Learn what’s involved when visiting a medical specialist.