Frequently Asked Questions
23. What are the standard types of treatment for breast cancer?
Standard treatments for breast cancer include
- surgery that takes out the cancer and some surrounding tissue
- radiation therapy that uses high-energy beams to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors and some surrounding tissue.
- chemotherapy that uses anti-cancer drugs to kill cancer most cells
- hormone therapy that keeps cancer cells from getting most of the hormones they need to survive and grow.
(Watch the video to learn about one breast cancer survivor's story. To enlarge the video, click the brackets in the lower right-hand corner. To reduce the video, press the Escape (Esc) button on your keyboard.)