Frequently Asked Questions

8. What should I do if I think I am depressed?

If you think you may have depression, start by making an appointment to see your doctor or health care provider. This could be your primary doctor or a health provider who specializes in diagnosing and treating mental health conditions (psychologist or psychiatrist).

If you need to make an appointment, here are some things you could say during the first call: “I haven’t been myself lately, and I’d like to talk to the provider about it,” or “I think I might have depression, and I’d like some help.”

A doctor should give you a complete physical exam and do any lab tests to rule out the possibility that medications or another medical condition are causing your depression. If these can be ruled out, he or she may refer you to a mental health professional such as a psychologist, counselor, social worker, or psychiatrist.

The doctor or mental health professional will ask you about your symptoms, such as when they started, how long they have lasted, their severity, whether they have occurred before, and if so, whether were they treated and how. He or she then will diagnose the depression, and work with you to choose the most appropriate treatment.