Falls and Older Adults
Frequently Asked Questions
30. What should I do if I fall?
A sudden fall can be startling and frightening. If you fall, stay as calm as possible.
Right After A Fall
- Take several deep breaths to try to relax.
- Remain still on the floor or ground for a few moments. This will help you get over the shock of falling.
- Decide if you're hurt before getting up. Getting up too quickly or in the wrong way could make an injury worse.
Getting Up From a Fall
- If you think you can get up safely without help, roll over onto your side.
- Rest again while your body and blood pressure adjust. Slowly get up on your hands and knees, and crawl to a sturdy chair.
- Put your hands on the chair seat and slide one foot forward so that it is flat on the floor. Keep the other leg bent so the knee is on the floor.
- From this kneeling position, slowly rise and turn your body to sit in the chair.
If you're hurt or can't get up, ask someone for help or call 911. If you're alone, try to get into a comfortable position and wait for help to arrive.