Long-Term Care

Frequently Asked Questions

9. What kind of help can I get while I recover from surgery at home?

After surgery, hospitalization, or an injury, you can get home health care -- short-term skilled care at home for the treatment of an illness or injury. Home health care helps you get better, regain your independence, and become as self-sufficient as possible.

Home health care services are provided by health care professionals who are often licensed practical nurses, therapists, or home health aides. They usually work for home health agencies, hospitals, or public health departments licensed by the state. Services provided include

  • skilled nursing care
  • physical therapy
  • occupational therapy
  • speech therapy

See what to expect from home health care services.

Home health services need to be ordered by a doctor for a specific condition. If you have Medicare part A and/or Part B, you may be eligible to receive a Medicare home health benefit if you meet certain conditions. Check with your Medicare health plan to see if the home health agency you are considering is Medicare-certified.

Learn about eligibility requirements for Medicare’s Home Health Benefit.

Find a Medicare-certified home health agency in your area.

Home health agencies also offer personal care and homemaker services that can be purchased without a physician's order.

  • Personal care includes help with bathing and dressing.
  • Homemaker services include help with meal preparation and household chores.

Often, unpaid caregivers, such as friends or family members, provide personal care and homemaker services.

See questions to ask when considering home health care.